09 September 2013

Fashion Trend!: Ties and How to Tie Them


Hej alle! 
This weekend has been super crazy for me which ended up with me being sick for about 3 days and me somehow or another being asked to help with a Sunday School class at my church.  After having my coffee I gladly said yes to helping out with Sunday School.  I hope to do well in that!  Wish me luck!

Well, today I will be talking about a fashion trend that comes and goes so lately that it seems to be caught up in a whirlwind.  Yes!  It is time for another fashion trend post!  I have not done one of these in a while and I apologize for that.  I have been busy with so many things it is hard to keep track of my post topics that I do.  Anyways, today I will be talking about ties.  Yes, ties.  Men wear them most of the time, but lately women have as well.  Cats and dogs have as well, but we will not go into that.  Not just as part of a work uniform mind you.  I mean they wear them out and about as part of their regular everyday attire.  I love ties.  I have a vast selection of ties.  I am not entirely sure where all of my ties came from and I am pretty sure that some of them were my grandfathers.  Why have I selected this topic?  It dawned on me while I was walking through the shopping center on my way to Teavana that a lot of women are wearing ties now.  There were so many of them wearing ties!  So many of them had them tied wrong.  Now when I say wrong I mean it looked as if they had just tied a knot in the tie and went about their merry way.  It looked awful.  Today I will be talking about the different types of ties there are and different ways to tie them.  As such, this is one of the few fashion posts that I have done that could be useful to both men and women.  So enjoy it!  Ladies, share it with your man if he need to learn how to tie a tie!  This is defiantly a skill that both men and women could use.

First things first.  Have I ever worn a tie?  Yep, I sure have.  I have been wearing ties since I was a little girl.  Why?  Because that is how my parents dressed me.  My mother has always dabbled in fashion and most of the women in her ancestry have at some point in time either been the owners of a dress and clothing boutique or they have been the ones setting the fashion.  In short, my love of fashion comes from my mother’s side of the family and they, for some reason or other, have always been a couple years ahead of anything that has become fashionable in the States.  As I stated above, I have a vast collection of ties.  Most of my ties are Neckties.  I do have a couple of Bow Ties though.  My father has several ties, but not many.  He works in construction and masonry.  He does not have a job that requires a tie or even recommends the wearing of a tie.  My job, however, I could if I wanted to.   

Now, when it comes to ties there are several different types.  For today’s post I will be covering the two that are most commonly worn today.  These are the Neckties and Bow Ties.  In the past Bolo Ties, Ascot Ties, Cravats, Stock Ties, and Neckerchiefs were also worn.  However, for the sake of not having a post a mile long on all the different types we will be sticking with Neckties and Bow Ties.  So, on with learning about ties!
 

We will start off with Bow Ties because they are the easiest to talk about.  Bow Ties have been around for quite a while and are commonly worn with tuxedos at Black Tie and White Tie events.  I will talk about the difference between the two at a later time.  Bow Ties are most commonly made from silk, cotton, or polyester.  The good thing about Bow Ties is that there is really only one way to tie them.  You really cannot get this wrong.  Well, I guess you could, but it would be really hard to get it wrong.  The shape of the Bow Tie when it is not tied may look a little intimidating, but once you know how to tie it you cannot really screw it up.  Most Bow Ties are sold in what is called the Thistle Style.  There really is not any need to know why it is called this, but there you go.  Random trivia for you.  Here is a fun little graphic that I found on Pinterest about how to tie a Bow Tie.
 

See, not that hard.  In fact, they are actually easier to tie than a Necktie.  You are about to find out why.

Ah the Necktie.  Style’s way of telling men that fashion and looking good is not easy.  When you look at all the different ways to tie a Necktie and all the different ways that it can go horribly, horribly wrong looking at a the different necklines a woman’s dress can have and picking one out looks like child’s play.  Here is an example of just some of the different types of ways that one can tie this lovely staple of the men’s fashion world.
 

 
Of these, the Half-Windsor, the Four-in-Hand, and the Full Windsor are the most common to see.  That is because these are the easiest to tie when it comes to getting these suckers on.  However, the Prince Albert is pretty easy to tie as well.  How exactly do you tie these monsters?  Well, here is an easy to follow diagram that I found on Pinterest to help you along the way with ten of the simpler knots for your Neckties.
 

 
Got a handle on that?  Good.  If not keep practicing!  No worries!  You will get it eventually.  I had to practice to get them right and some of them I still have to do several times before I get them right.  If you are good with those knots I have two diagrams here for two of the most complicated tie knots that you have probably ever seen.  Yep, those two on the bottom left of the comparison picture up there.  The Eldredge and the Trinity Knots.  These two are monsters.  I still to this day have more problems with these things and I have been tying Neckties since I was five.

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Complicated right?  They do look really cool though.  I admire any person, man or woman, that can tie these things right on the first try.  It is hard.  The end result is really amazing and look really classy when guys wear them.  I wish more guys would learn to do these two knots so that they were seen more often.

Well, enough with how to tie the darn things.  What is so great about ties anyways?  Well, for one thing.  Ties add a bit more class to your button down shirts.  No, polo shirts do not count.  I am talking about cotton, silk, or satin button down dress shirts.  They also look amazing with weskits.  There are pros and cons to each type of tie.  They can be worn with most everything.  However, there are a few exceptions to this.  The most important thing to remember is that Neckties are not to be worn for Black Tie or White Tie events!  Ever!  Bow Ties are to be worn during those kind of events.  Some civic clubs or churches require a jacket and tie to be worn by men who are ushers or during meetings.  In these cases the usual tie worn is a Necktie.  That is not to say that Bow Ties cannot be worn.  You just might be the only one wearing one.  Other than that, wear whatever you want.  Some jobs you might want to wear a Bow Tie over a Necktie though.  For example, if you are working in a lab you may want to wear a Bow Tie so that your tie does not catch fire or get into any of your lab work.  Neckties may also get caught in paper shredders at work.  As much as it sounds like Bow Ties would be the better choice for being worn at work there is something to remember.  When one is not wearing Black Tie or White Tie apparel Bow Ties have the tendency to look like just a cute fashion accessory.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  However, it is something to note. 
 

What do I think of ties?  I think they are an amazing part of fashion for any man or woman!  They can be worn to work or just out and about.  Sure, they can be a pain to put on.  Once you get the hang of tying them it becomes easy as pie though.  If nothing else, it gives men a bit of a glimpse into what women go through with the pain that being fashion conscious can be.  Yes, I said it.  Being fashion conscious can be a pain.  I will not lie.  It takes work, but it is worth it.  Practice is really the key when it comes to this part of fashion.  Learning to tie a tie is something that you have to have practice to get it right.  I have been doing it since I was a little kid and you would not believe how many times I have had to tie a man’s tie for him.  Be it a Bow Tie or a Necktie.  It is a skill that everyone should have be they a man or a woman.
 

I hope you have found this post informative and helpful!  What do you think about ties?  Are they an awesome accessory for men and women or are they too much of a hassle to deal with? 

Until next time!  Stay lovely and trendy!
 
Links to Buy Ties
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment