16 November 2013

Things I'm Thankful For! Days Fifteen and Sixteen

I missed a day! Ahh! Oh well, I was gone and on the run from the time I woke up at 6 in the morning until about 1 this morning and then I got about 4 hours of sleep and started the hectic schedule all over again.  Today I'm not out of town though.  So, no traveling to deal with.  On with the post!

Yesterday's and today's is being group in together.  The reason for that is because they are connected.  I am thankful for my SUV and also, good German made cars in general.  Why is that?  Well, I have a M-Class Mercedes-Benz.  It is an amazing little SUV.  That thing has saved my life on a few occasions. Let me give you all a bit of my history dealing with cars.

My first car in high school was a Chevy Cavalier convertible.  It was a good car, but it was not my car exactly.  It was my parents' car and it was red and black.  I did not really like the colour of it and I wanted a car of my own.  My senior year I got a got my own car and it was awesome.  That car was a white Ford Mustang with a leather camel interior and top. It was amazing.  It was the car that I loaded up and took to Cottey with me.  It was a great car until I got into a wreck with it.  Though it was not considered totaled, since it was fixable, it was never the same after that.  Sure, it looked like it had just rolled off the lot once they finished it.  However, it never quite ran the same.  I had more problems with it after that and my parents did not particularly like me feeling unsafe driving back and forth to Edmond everyday for school at UCO.  I had always wanted a Mercedes and my brother-in-law just so happened to have a car and an SUV in stock at the dealership that he worked at.  They were pre-owned, but that did not particularly bother me that much and out of the two I said that I preferred the car.  Well, at the time we still had the Cavalier and we of course had the Mustang.  Since my father had his truck and my mother had her car we decided that we would just get rid of the two convertibles and pay the balance on me a new and safer car.  I came home from work and what did I find in the driveway?  A silver M-Class Mercedes-Benz.  My father had brought home the SUV rather than the car.  I had never driven a SUV before and I was kind of intimidated by it.  However, the SUV had so many bells and whistles that for a bit we were slightly panicked that it would make our insurance sky rocket since it was deemed a "luxury" car.  Thankfully, our insurance offered discounts for certain safety features.  This particular model with all of it's bells and whistles was mostly safety features.  That sucker has a ridiculous amount of airbag, all steal body, automatic breaking and correction system, panic and anti-theft devices, and it has automatic rain sensing wipers on the front and the back.  All of those added up to make our insurance less than what it had been!  All in all, it was an amazing investment for the family.  Its all steal body has kept me and my passengers from getting injured when idiot drivers have hit the front driver side of the car and also when the idiot texting slid under the thing.  Both times, there was minimal damage to my SUV in comparison to the other cars that were practically totaled by the impact.  The automatic breaking and correction system has also been a wonder on the slick and hazardous roads during winter and most of the time it did it so smoothly that had I not seen the light come on saying that it had engaged I would have never known.

So, as for good German made cars?  Well, this ties back to why I am thankful for my SUV.  Both of the cars that I had before my Mercedes were not German made.  Those things had more problems with them and after the wreck that Mustang was basically useless to me because of how much I drive.  The Mercedes, on the other hand, after both wrecks was able to be completely restored to where it looked and handled like it had just been brought over from the factory in Germany.  Every German car that I have ever driven has handled so much more smoothly than cars made else where.  They also do better in crash tests overall.  By that I mean that as a whole, German cars perform better as a group.  They are consistent and safe.  I think this has to do with the German work ethic and the need to meet super high expectations in the finished product.  They are all really safe and amazing cars.

I may be slightly biased since my family is pretty insistent on having German made cars.  It was really strange to have a Ford and a Chevy to be honest.  My family has more German made cars, be they Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagens, or what have you, than most families where we live.  Oh, well.

There you have it!  Until next time!

Stay lovely and beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment